Editor's Note: This article was originally published July 2018 and has been republished to reflect new 2020 pricing on our machines, and to include a video.
So you’re in the market to purchase a new gutter machine? Congratulations!
Not only will buying a new or used portable seamless gutter machine give you a competitive edge in your local market, it will also help you control your own production and hang gutters as fast as you can make them.
But how much do you know about the pricing of a portable gutter machine? Do you know what to look for in a used machine? What about a new one?
After 25 years of manufacturing and selling innovative rollforming machinery, New Tech Machinery knows how crucial it is for you to buy the best machines for your business needs.
In this article, we will discuss:
- Costs of gutter machines
- What to look for when buying a new gutter machine
- What to look for when buying a used gutter machine
- Questions to ask yourself to help you buy the right machine
What is the Cost of a Seamless Gutter Machine?
It’s the million-dollar question: How much does a portable seamless gutter machine cost?
Well, it depends. In fact, it depends on many different factors.
For the purposes of this article, we are going to focus on the machines New Tech Machinery manufactures, which are priced comparably to other gutter machines in the market. Here are the base prices of NTM's Nasser MultiPro™ Gutter Machine, MACH II™ Seamless Gutter Machines, and the BG7™ Box Gutter Machine:
- Nasser MultiPro Gutter Machine - Base price of $14,500
- MACH II 5” Gutter Machine – Base price of $6,500
- MACH II 6” Gutter Machine – Base price of $7,900
- MACH II 5/6” Combo Gutter Machine – Base price of $9,150
- MACH II 7/8” Combo Gutter Machine – Base price of $28,500
- BG7 Box Gutter Machine – Base price of $43,050
Please note that these prices DO NOT account for optional features and equipment, which will increase the price. Contact New Tech to discuss the configuration that will work best for you with each machine. Options to add to a seamless gutter machine can include:
- Reel stands
- Transfer racks
- Run-out stands
- Electrical 12V, 220V, or CE wiring (for overseas applications)
- Hook assembly
- Back flange assembly
- Bottom bead assembly
- Machine covers
- Computerized length controllers
Keep in mind, you can purchase any seamless gutter machine without any of the add-ons, but some of these parts may be a necessity in your specific situation, while others might be considered “nice-to-haves” or future options.
What to Look for in a New Seamless Gutter Machine
The best way to make sure you purchase the right seamless gutter machine is to be an educated consumer, as this equipment will be a major part of your business and generates profit.
So, when you go to purchase a new gutter machine, what should you look for?
You don’t necessarily want to buy the first new portable seamless gutter machine you look at. It’s important to compare and contrast attributes among machines you’re interested in. When looking at these gutter machines, check for the following:
- Separate drive and forming rollers – The best rollforming machines, gutter or otherwise, tend to be ones with separate drive and forming rollers. Separating the two results in less stress on the metal because the rollers aren’t trying to form and drive the metal at the same time. Drive rollers are typically made of polyurethane or metal.
- Warranties – Before you buy new equipment, always make sure you know about the warranties on the machine or the various parts that are offered with the purchase. For example, NTM’s MACH II Gutter Machines are offered with these warranties:
- Three years on parts (including electrical) / Three years labor
- Limited lifetime separation on drive rollers
- Limited lifetime on stainless steel forming rollers against normal wear
- Materials formed – Make sure the portable gutter machine you’re interested in will run the materials you plan to provide to your customers. For example, some machines don’t run copper.
- Gutter size – If you know the majority of your clients will want a 5” gutter, you might be fine just purchasing the one machine size. However, if you want to offer both 5” and 6”, a combo gutter machine may be your best option. Knowing what size of gutter is common in your area will help you choose the right machine for your business.
Gutter profile – Depending on the number of profile options you want to provide to your customers to choose from (i.e. back flanges, hooks, etc.), make sure the machines you’re looking at are able to rollform each variation.
- Machine length – The longer the machine, the higher the quality of the finished product. This is the result of more forming stations used to gradually form the metal, which reduces stresses inflicted on the materials during the rollforming process.
- Push-button controls vs. drum switch – For controlling the machine, push-button controls are considered the better option, as they are easier and more efficient to use.
- Availability of length control – If you’re looking for the machine to automatically stop at a specified length, ensure you get a rollformer with a computer controller that allows this function.
What to Look for in a Used Gutter Machine
Let’s say you’re not quite ready for a brand new gutter machine, which is very common for new or smaller businesses, so you want to look into purchasing a used gutter machine. While New Tech Machinery doesn’t deal in used machines, many companies decide to sell their used equipment at a reasonable price.
That being said, buying a used machine can come with its own set of pitfalls. Make sure to check all of the attributes listed above in the new machines section in addition to these items:
- Don’t buy a machine until you’ve seen it run in person – A problem we’ve heard about time and time again, especially with gutter machines, are buyers not going in person to look at the machine and it’s capabilities. We can’t stress this point enough: It’s up to you as a buyer to make the seller run material through the machine for EVERY profile and size (if the seller says the machine runs both 5” and 6” gutters, make sure they run both) to prove the machine functions correctly.
- Also, never put any money down on a machine until you’ve seen it.
- The machine is in good condition on both the outside AND inside – The physical condition of the used rollforming machine for sale can be a potential problem as well. While exterior looks aren’t everything, if you find a machine that looks really bad on the outside, it also could mean that the inside might not have been maintained either. Or you could even run into a situation where the outside of the machine looks great, but the inside has issues. If the inside is worn out, the machine might not function as it was intended to, which is another reason to make sure you see it in person and run the machine before purchasing.
- The price seems “too good” – If a price seems too low or is too good to be true, it might be a red flag of existing issues. It’s hard to define what is considered a “low price,” but if you feel uneasy about it, ask the seller and have them prove it functions.
(Please note, in addition to the items above, most used machines DO NOT include a manufacturer’s warranty.)
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying a Seamless Gutter Machine
If you’re still unsure whether to invest in a new or used portable seamless gutter machine, there are some things you can do to help steer you in the right direction. Start by asking yourself some of the following questions to better gauge yourself and your business needs, which can help you determine new vs. used machines and if any add-ons are necessary to buy:
- Can I afford a new machine? Or can I only afford one that is used?
- If I desire a new gutter machine, but don’t have the cash at the moment, can I get approved for leasing or financing?
- Have I been having an issue with or am I at the mercy of a gutter manufacturer/supplier?
- Do I want to focus on producing gutters, hanging/installing gutters, or both?
- What profile and size options do I want to offer to my customers?
- Do I want the ability to add embossed designs to the gutters?
- Does my business have a skilled employee who can and will run and maintain the gutter machine?
- Do I live in an area where my gutter machine would be affected by extreme weather conditions (cold or hot) if it wasn’t enclosed?
Buying a portable seamless gutter machine for your business is a great benefit to look into, especially if you want to take control of your own production and diversify your business. But you want to make sure you’re buying the right machine with the right add-on options the first time around.
- The base price of a seamless gutter machine doesn’t include any accessories or add-ons, as those increase the cost depending on the specific add-on choices selected
- Ask yourself questions before you go to buy to find out what you’re looking for in a machine
- Make sure new machines offer what you’re looking for, such as warranties, sizes, gutter profiles, and controls
- When purchasing used equipment, always make sure to go see the machine in person and to run material in every gutter profile and size the rollformer can do
At New Tech Machinery, we manufacturer award-winning portable seamless gutter machines designed to help you and your business achieve success in gutter installation and production. We’re dedicated to helping you find the best gutter machine that fits your needs and doesn’t break the bank.